Friday, January 16, 2015

YouTube Poetry


So I literally just typed "poetry" in the YouTube search bar expecting nothing and was floored.

Who knew that people were recording themselves in their homes and outside and all over the place reciting original poetry? I certainly didn't. And who would have thought that it would actually be excellent? Not me.

Why are all of these posts about me being pleasantly surprised by literature in the digital age? 

I also never really thought to look up different recitations of my own famous poetry. It's a beautiful thing.

As far as I've seen, the poetry corner of YouTube seems to be the stomping grounds of people who actually have something worthwhile to post in the comments ... though of course there were some disappointing things to be read. Ah well, the internet is the best place to anonymously bash other people... but I digress.

I commented on a YouTube video tonight. I liked a few of them. And I learned a lot about the way that people are feeling all over the world in beautifully concise and thoughtfully performed poetry. I was especially drawn to videos of people reciting original poetry about racism. Here's one of my favorites that doesn't have insane swearing in it. Also this one (and I still love JK Rowling!)  Just tonight I've started to appreciate what a gift the internet is to these people who can voice their opinions and open the eyes of people around the world to their experiences. There is something so much more personal about watching and listening to someone recite their own poetry than just reading it. I'm starting to appreciate social media as a platform for so much more than narcissism. My friends were delighted to watch the YouTube poetry with me and we marveled together at the lessons we could learn from our peers around the world in this art form.

So again, I'm impressed.

2 comments:

  1. I definitely think that one of my favorite parts of watching the poetry online is the fact that you get to see so many interpretations of it. Sometimes I forget that the way that I see the poetry isn't the only way it could be taken, so that really opened it up to so many other ideas about poetry that I've already come to love, or maybe didn't love so much before!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also was exposed to some YouTube poetry as well and it was super neat. I completely agree that it is much more personal to hear poetry read aloud.

    ReplyDelete