Friday, January 23, 2015

Hansel and Gretel



Oh boy. This was not easy for me. Iambic pentameter? I watched like eight YouTube videos about it, and I am still not confident that I have quite got it.
I chose Hansel and Gretel because I loved the possibility of strong imagery in the poem. I thought of how all of the senses are really influenced in the story and I wanted to try to capture that. I am going to try to put more of that into the revision! 
The stress of trying to get meter, rhythm, and rhyme combined with thinking too much about a house made of candy caused me to eat like 5 servings of ice cream and some chocolate covered cinnamon bears while I wrote. Thanks a lot Hansel and Gretel! Regardless of the state of my health now, I look forward to revising this poem to try to get it right. 




Hansel and Gretel

No end to trees there seems to be for us,
Alone and lost, no crumbs to mark our way
A house! We spy. We race. Outrageous fuss
Mouths fill, hands stick, we lose all track of day. 

From dream we're ripped, hands pull and shove us in
Barred up, dark air, her sightless eyes don't know
Be lunch we won't, the haggard witch won't win
Our trick, the bone. She shrieks! I will not grow. 

Flames lick, invite her closer still, we shove. 
Thick and sure the door we hear it thud now, 
Sent right down deep, for she can't be above.
Goodbye you witch, you hag, you wicked Frau.

Warm and safe in Father's arms, no fail,
Our query is will he believe our tale? 


2 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed this! I think you did a fabulous job at bringing the story to life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome job! I think that your sonnet is a wonderful retelling. I like how easily it flows.

    ReplyDelete