Thursday, January 15, 2015

New Doesn't Mean Bad

Trying new things can be scary. Especially when it involves something that's expressed from your soul.

So I decided to try an experiment. I posted something I wrote in a couple of different areas on our dear internet. I tried once anonymously on a poetry site, and once on the ever so popular Facebook.
It's interesting to see the response between the two, and obviously time will tell a little better the way the experiment will turn out.

I can honestly say it was more nerve wracking to post to Facebook to people I know and care about. Isn't it an interesting phenomenon to be more frightened by expressing myself to family than to express myself to strangers. One interesting aspect of posting to people I know, is it was a much more immediate response. People wondering where it came from, or what it's about, or even simply "liking" it. But after a couple of hours, it seems to have been forgotten.

However, posting anonymously to a poetry site where I could sort of tag what my poem was about about and having it in a place where thousands of people are constantly browsing, and the feedback keeps just randomly coming, and doesn't seem to stop. This is a place where poets of all stages come to look for publishing opportunities, critique, or even just to get their work out there. It also gave me a way to find other poetry and compare side to side the differences in writing and technique between the old and the new.

One other aspect that I've found to love is the poem community on Goodreads. It's fascinating to go through different poems and see what parts others love and the different viewpoints everyone has that I would have never thought about.

Overall, there's still so much I have to learn about how poetry is growing and thriving in the new world, but it's an exciting new prospect for me to try out!

4 comments:

  1. You are so brave! I thought about posting to FB, but I couldn't do it! Good work, my friend :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also really like the poem community on Goodreads! And I totally get the posting the strangers idea. I feel the same way! Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So brave on both platforms. Its interesting to see how diversely people responded on Facebook and the other website!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! It's awesome that you posted some original work on Facebook. I don't think that I'd have the guts to do that.

    ReplyDelete