Thursday, January 29, 2015

Presentation is Er'thyng



There is something to be said for watching a play be acted instead of simply reading the lines.  As I watched the various acts and casts of the York Mystery Theatre plays, I was surprised to find myself drawn into the stories!  I’ll admit, I thought that they were going to be boring—the same stories I had heard since childhood, just with an Olde English twist.  

Well, they were.
 
But it was precisely the twist that drew my attention.

I was amazed at the way the actors really used their lines in these works.  Each line was made up not only of words, but of the emotion the actor was trying to express.  When Satan appeared, he was cocky and taunting, quick to anger and each of the words “he” said (because he was portrayed by a woman once!) had a menacing bite to it.  When he says, “And but thou do I will you won't,” we can hear the challenge in his assertion—an effort to mock Jesus into begrudging him prideful victory.  In the last act, a woman literally bewails her fate after Judgement Day.  The despair in her voice, in fact, tells the story better than the words on the script:

Alas we wretches that are forlorn that never yet served god to pay, but oft we have his flesh forsworn. Alas, alas, and wellaway. What shall we wretches do for dread, or whethir for feardness shall we flee. When we may bring forth no good deed before him that our judge shall be. To ask mercy us is no need. For well I wott, damned be we.

If I were to read this to myself, it would probably have a tone of resignation or depression.  I mean, judging solely by the text, there are no exclamation marks or cues that give sign of intense feeling. But the actress’s mourning is anything but solemn as she cries over her damnation.  I LOVED IT.

Speaking of, can we please talk about this fabulous alliteration?  The whole play is one string of similar sounds after the next.  This was and is a technique used by actors and writers to memorize their lines with ease.  Once the actor remembers the first word, the rest follow suit with like sounds.  I watched, impressed, as Thomas delivered a lengthy monologue.  He recites:
 
Alas for sight and sorrows sad. Mourning makes me mazed and mad.

That’s only a snippet, but the pattern continues throughout the passage.  I also found it interesting that the actors used each set of alliterated words to express a different emotion or build upon a previous 
one.  The phrases felt complete…does that make sense?

To conclude, I was quite pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed this assignment.  Thank heavens for that script on the sidebar though, because otherwise I wouldn’t have understood a thing!  Ye Olde English maketh not senseth.

2 comments:

  1. This is so good! You found things that I hadn't even noticed. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha! "Ye Olde English maketh not senseth." Amen! I loved your thoughts about alliteration. The fluidity of Thomas' lines added so much power to his emotion that I don't think would have been possible with simple blocking or voice inflection.

    ReplyDelete