Thursday, January 22, 2015

The King of Sherwood Forest


Hello all!  I greatly enjoyed the task that we had of creating a sonnet for our blog post today!

I chose to retell a myth because I really love folklore.  First, I had to do some research because I really didn't know which myth I wanted to write about.  There are countless myths and folklore tales out there from so many different cultures.  For some reason, I was particularly drawn to medieval English folk tales.  I read through a bunch of really funny (and sometimes somber) folk tales before I made my decision.  If you want to read some cool English myths, click here.  I think the most interesting thing about myths is that they tend to change over time and things are added and changed.  I think it adds to the "magic" of the myth that additions are made.

Eventually, I decided to write my sonnet about Robin Hood.  I decided to write my sonnet about a myth that I was more familiar myth so I could better express my thoughts.  I read some background info to refresh my memory and get the gist of Robin Hood.  To read the background information that I read, click here.  I decided to use the Shakespearian Sonnet form because I had never written a sonnet before, and also because I thought it fit the tale.  

The process of writing my sonnet was more difficult than I initially anticipated.  I thought the ABAB etc. rhyme scheme would "flow creatively" (for lack of a better term) more easily.  I think I got the hang of it though, to say the least!

Now for the moment you've all been waiting for:


The King of Sherwood Forest

A hero of medieval peasantry
Roams nightly castles of Lady and Lord.
Gems and diamonds acquired from gentry,
Many conquests won in fear of the sword.
King of Sherwood Forest, they call his name
Robin Hood: the Master of Thieves! But still
Unlikely savior of farmer and dame,
Every pence and jewel given at will.
“Grammarcy!” Sir Robin, cry all the poor,
As out King vanishes with wink and bow,
Refilling the quiver--off to explore,
Loyalty is his unbreakable vow.
His enemies lie in constant await,
Where the arrows fly through each turn of fate.

3 comments:

  1. Nice job with the iambic pentameter! I thought that was so hard! But you really did a great job with this, it was super entertaining and well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the choice of character you used, it's fun looking at character choice because I feel as though it says a lot about the person, and I can tell this is one you care about! And your structure of the poem seems pretty well done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved your sonnet. Robin Hood is such a fun character to write about. I thought it was hard too! I know I am going to need some help with the iambic pentameter.

    ReplyDelete