Monday, January 26, 2015

It's a Tragedy


Most turn to different types of literature with the hope to relax and be entertained, and occasionally take away a meaningful message, but mostly to get away from the worries of their own lives.
Recently I went to the movies with a few friends just for the enjoyment factor, but I left the movies with an annoying unending thought process. It left me reflective and a little more solemn that the characters had chosen so poorly and left a dreary future ahead of them. By the end of it all I was ready to pick up a good cheery book, or watch some chick flick, but instead I picked up Oedipus Rex.
The same feelings came over me again. I had already read Oedipus Rex, and I knew beforehand all his poor choices and his awful outcome. Somehow I was stringing myself along while reading hoping that he would do things differently this time.
Unfortunately, he STILL unknowingly kills his dad, marries his mom who eventually kills herself, blinds himself, and then becomes an outcast from his own home.

As we all know Oedipus Rex is a tragedy; it will not end well, and Sophocles set one of the greatest examples of what a tragedy should be.


Tragedy is still present in our culture today, but I have remembered all the decisions of Oedipus Rex because of his “hubris” since the first time I read about him in high school. I am sure Oedipus’ downfall is remembered by almost all who have read it; Sophocles knew what he had created.  Oedipus was too blinded by his own pride thought of himself as miraculously powerful and intelligent to realize he had only brought to pass his own cursing. Although unlikely that we may pass through the temptations that Oedipus passed through, we can reflect on our own personality traits, and essentially our own “hubris” so that we can avoid our own tragedy.

1 comment:

  1. It's interesting how much a certain story can impact us, and how it doesn't leave us once finished. I also like the way you related this to our own lives, great post!

    ReplyDelete