Thursday, January 22, 2015

Holy Hades!


You've crossed the Styx, and paid your dues, your life
no more is yours to claim. Time to move on,
make your way, just one last kiss from your wife.
For now your body's gone into the dawn,

The dark, it comes round cold and flat. The sky
it shines no more in here. The world's new 
and damp and dead. "Lost is my soul!" You cry.
Your world is now a much far darker hue. 

Cerberus the mighty beast, is apt to 
chase and chomp and feast. You look back up escape
planned out, and yet you see there's no way through.
Trapped as Persephone after her rape.

For then his chariot rides round with ease,
Ever stealing souls, the mighty Hades!

Tada!
But seriously. Writing a sonnet is a lot more difficult than I anticipated. I mean, this poem actually started out as a fun and sarcastic poem, and well, it kind of took a turn to the darker side. It's interesting the way sometimes words just sort of take off with an idea of their own until there's something totally different than the original thought.

Who knows, maybe one day I'll create my own sonnets that are so rad that they'll create a style called the Saren Sonnet. I think that sounds like a pretty great idea. And then no one can criticize my poor iambic pentameter because I'll be the rule breaker and famous so it will be okay.

3 comments:

  1. Your sonnet was so fun to read! I am glad someone else wrote about Greek Mythology too! I feel like the iambi pentameter is the hardest.
    I would definitely read your sonnets when your famous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that had some really great imagery. I could totally see that playing out in my mind. I like how you didn't finish your thoughts in the same line...does that make sense?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really enjoyed this. You immediately get the reader involved in the poem by inserting "you". On Dr. Burton's list for revising, he does say not to center it so I'd fix that! I think it's great otherwise!

    ReplyDelete