Thursday, January 8, 2015

To Read or Not to Read



I can't keep calm! I am just too excited about all of this!

This blog post is going as a shout out to the "Recommendations" feature. 

After I had a speed session of rating the first books that popped into my head, I was so excited to be able to peruse through the "recommended"section. And you know what? I was able to find more books that I love reading through that list. Which meant that I could then I could rate even MORE. Seriously guys, I could have spent hours just searching through book lists and rating away. (But, unfortunately "aint nobody got time for that.")

Why am I so fired up about this recommendation feature? I am psyched because finding what to read next never has been the easiest for me. I sort of tend to just keep reading the same books again and again because I know that I love them. But it's time to expand those horizons! I love that technology has made it possible for a computer to systematically refer me to something that I might love based on other things that I love. Really, how cool is that? I can't even fathom the algorithm used to compile these lists. Thank you brilliant computer people for bringing this to me!

The next struggle is going to be to make sure that this feature doesn't just make my pile (read:shelf-full) of books that I want to read even bigger. Anyone have any recommendations? How do you find time to read leisurely as a student?

4 comments:

  1. I said something similar to you in my post. I struggle with finding books to read next, too! I can't wait to become more involved with Goodreads.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes re-reading books is such an adventure! I always try to remember what will happen next and am delighted when I am wrong and realize that I forgot about certain parts! I definitely understand the difficulty of finding what to read next. I also love this part of Goodreads for that very reason!
    Also, good luck finding leisure reading time while in school...I have yet to discover that joy.
    Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is my predicament. College doesn't get that I like to read. College is like, "No, sorry Shel, you have to stay buried in homework instead." Whateverrrrr, college. Good post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this! I feel the same way. Ha I feel like this opened a new world of problems for me because now I just want to read everything I see on there but there's just not enough time!

    ReplyDelete