Friday, January 16, 2015

Technology Links

I mentioned in my last post that one of my favorite ways to discover and share poetry I liked was through the social networking sight Tumblr. Unfortunately, I had not yet ventured much further than Tumblr in the past to discover new poetry, but today was a turning point! Although I love poetry, it honestly just never crossed my mind that there were so many resources to find such a vast amount of incredible poetry.

To broaden my poetry spectrum I started with a simple search on Instagram. I had been under the misconception that Instagram was only used to take pictures of food, and for girls to post selfies that filtered out any flaw! I WAS WRONG!

I was surprised to find many simple poems with few words, but many of them expressed deep emotions. I find it so wonderful that we have so many mediums to convey what we feel, and to discover the similarities through the internet.

One of my favorites that I found is by theartisticfeed on Instagram:
I asked for patience
and God gave me calamities,
i didn’t understand it at first,
but they brought out,
the best of me.

-       hn -

(SO TRUE, at least for me!)
We must be kindred spirits because I have definitely felt this same EXACT way just a few times in my life. I have wanted to develop a certain skill, and I asked for God’s assistance. The answers always came, most the time unexpectedly, but it always was the best for me.

So its apparent I spent a little time on her profile liking and reading her poems. It just amazes me that a 22 year old girl has 2.2k people reading and loving her poetry just because of a social media website.



 I have also been able to find great suggestions of poetry to read on Goodreads! I was able to find poetry in Portuguese that I had been wanting to read by Fernando Pessoa! That and many others made it to my to read list. It was fun to read what others had said about Pessoa and his poetry, and how correct they are. Many of the Portuguese adore and talk about him, and that initially sparked my curiosity to get to know more.


I love technology and that we can link people, and cultures all through poetry.

1 comment:

  1. It honestly never even crossed my mind that there could be poetry on Instagram. I'll have to check it out. I really agree with you, though, that technology links people immensely.

    ReplyDelete