Thursday, January 15, 2015

User, Not Consumer

Today I became a user of the online literary world.

It might seem silly, but before today, I had never before commented on a random person's post--let alone someone's personal poetry.

But, I did it.  I'd be wrong to admit that I wasn't a little scared and intimidated of breaking my little, personal bubble of internet.  I mean, I've never so much as "liked" a video on Youtube. Ultimately, though, it was a little refreshing to offer my thoughts to someone else.

I joined a poetry group on Goodreads.  I then stumbled upon a "personal poetry review" thread.  I scrolled through a bunch of...er...interesting poems until I found one I liked.  The comment that I left wasn't really spectacular at all, but it was certainly a unique experience.

Click here to find the poem.

For the first time ever, I watched a poetry video.  The poem I decided to memorize is Elizabeth Barrett Browning's sonnet "How Do I Love Thee."  Some of you might think it cliche, but I am a class A sap for romance.  I wanted to hear it read aloud, so I searched for one on YouTube. (I don't remember who suggested the idea in class, but thanks!)

Here is the video:



I very rarely listen to poetry, so it was the coolest to hear Elizabeth Barrett Browning's little sonnet read aloud.  The guy who recited the poem read it with so much gusto I couldn't help but feel he had someone special in mind.

I have also spent some time highlighting things on my kindle.  I love that I can look up words and terms with the click of a button.  I also enjoy the little feature that allows one to see what other people have highlighted and noted.  All in all, the kindle is one of my new favorite things.

3 comments:

  1. I'm trying not to let the fact that this guy is kinda cute alter how I interpret his recitation of the poem... Sorry Nathan and Dr. Burton.. haha. But the idea of watching others perform these poems is brilliant! It really does totally change the poem. I completely agree with what we have been talking about in class, that poems live as they are spoken. And this is going to really help with the memorization process.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like your post! I definitely agree with the idea of reaching out of the bubble we create for ourselves. This is a nerve-wracking yet exciting experience!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love how people use technology to express themselves and the poetry. It gives everything a whole new dimension and is really cool!

    ReplyDelete