Friday, January 23, 2015



When Dr. Burton said we would be writing a sonnet, I was intimidated but excited. I immediately thought "write what you know" and wanted to organize my thoughts on returning home from a mission in sonnet form. However, when he said that we needed to retell a myth or start an epic, things got more complicated. I decided to write my sonnet on the stereotypical RM (male) in the midst of his epic journey to find true love. This first draft has taken a turn that I didn't expect. I attempted to 'call on the muse,' start in Media Res, and introduce my hero all within the parameters of a classic sonnet. I used this website for help on what should be included in the intro of a sonnet. Let me know what you think! Just a first draft:

RM

And now he waits- palms sweat, heart aches- on her. 
"...and please," he prays, heart beat delays- she smiles
and laughs. First date, he's back! He gulps, words slur:
"Please help! I'm new, and dates- so few!" New trials!

"Dear God, you heard my prayers, I served so well
in Rome and now I'm home. New rules, new goals,
these girls- who knows? What's said, what's meant? Do tell!"
He tries to know how dates should go? He's dull:

"So PMG, what do you think of it?" 
So lame. No game. And oh, the shame. Why try?
She shrugs, eyes blank. "Does she ev'n think a bit?"
So cute, so young, but also dumb. Goodbye!

Journey's begun. Not actually fun. High stress. 
To find the one, and when he's done: success.


2 comments:

  1. Ok, I love this!! Haha, it is so funny and so relevent to so many of us. I'm really imressed with how natural the rhyming and the rhythm were. You are a natural!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the rhythm of your poem is fantastic! I really like that the phrases are short. It makes me think of how he'd actually be thinking things in his mind!

    ReplyDelete