Monday, January 12, 2015

Poetry = Too Much Emotion


No chickens allowed in the Poet's Club.
I always seem to associate poetry with people that have too much emotion. For example, I have a friend that went on a blind date with a guy and after this one date, he wrote her a poem. Below is an excerpt:

Is she too calm for me?
Am I too much for her?
For how long can this interest last?

I’ve always wanted to be around a girl
Like her. So sweet and faithful.
Soft around the edges. Direct in mind.
So beautiful, so beautiful, benevolently kind.

For I am constantly pulled at by girls with a sense of adventure, constantly entertained
But drawn to one that is drawn to peace and feeling.
How much she has taught me.

I fear I will lose her, so I silently push her away.
To avoid the pain.
Because she’s not the one I would typically be with;
She feels the same.

What can I do for her happiness and joy?
Whatever she wants from me. Take it.

Is she too calm for me? Am I too much for her?
Or do we balance each other out?

Why do I care? Does she?

It doesn’t matter. I enjoyed my time while it lasted
With the girl, perhaps too good for me.


When I first read this, I immediately thought, RUN. But as I've reread the poem, I am struck by this guy’s courage. What amazing courage it takes to write down one’s own feelings and to actually share them with someone. I’m jealous. I have never been good at expressing myself with eloquence. That, I believe, is the true value of poetry. Poetry is the ability to express oneself. The ability to write words that readers and audiences feel.

I came across this quote in my research of poetry,

“What can be explained is not poetry.” – W.B. Yeats

This struck me as ironic because this sentence almost perfectly explains why I find poetry so foreign. I love explanation. I love learning the why. I love logic! I have discovered that poetry is meant to be felt. The words are written in such a rhythm that the reader or audience is meant to feel the emotions being conveyed.

I want to be able to share my thoughts in this way. To feel emotions this deeply. I know that this study of poetry will help. For our assignment to memorize a poem, I have chosen Sir Philip Sydney’s Astrophel and Stella Sonnet 1. I chose this poem because I feel I can relate to Sir Philip in his difficulty at putting into words the thoughts of his heart. I only hope that I can express the feeling behind his words. I look forward to sharing the poem with my Mom and sisters, but also with my friend that I mentioned above.

Eventually, I hope to be able to compose my own sonnet and have the courage to share it.

Image by Sheree Fitch {link to http://www.shereefitch.com/blog/?currentPage=10}

3 comments:

  1. Jenna I relate so much to your post! What a sweet poem from that darling boy! I would be overwhelmed and touched to receive something so vulnerable because I, like you, used to think that poetry was for those with exceptional capacities to feel and that I didn't really fit. I look forward to hearing you recite Sydney's sonnet and maybe even hearing you recite your own someday! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's so true! Expressing yourself in a way like that can be such a scary and intimidating thing. It's hard to just open up and really let emotions flow out, raw and pure, and I feel like poetry really opens that gateway. I think that originally I would be freaked out by getting a poem like that from a boy, but at the same time I just think that it's because we just aren't used to that type of affection in this day and age. And quite frankly, I would love to see more of that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had a guy recite a poem to me once on our first date. He prefaced it by saying, "I wrote this while gazing up at the Salt Lake Temple on a starry night, thinking about a girl who would never love me back." The poem wasn't bad, but his timing and intro were the worst! But that was a great post! I'm sure you'll be a sonnet super star.

    ReplyDelete