Monday, January 26, 2015

Seeing Oedipus in a Different Light


I thoroughly enjoyed our discussion in class today on the basic elements and implications of tragedy and drama, specifically in reference to Oedipus Rex, a tragedy I'm sure we've all visited and revisited many times throughout our educational journeys. Upon further reflection, I was struck by Sutherland's comments about Aristotle's views on how tragedy "imitates" reality, specifically that "all is foretold," and "there are no accidents" (Sutherland, Loc 422). This was interesting to me because my favorite motif to analyze in Oedipus Rex is that of seeing, or loss of sight, and Sutherland argues that one of the core ingredients to a tragedy is the fact that reality is inescapable, and that all is foretold.

In Oedipus Rex, it is foretold by an oracle that Oedipus will kill his father, marry his mother, and go blind. In attempts to escape this prediction, Oedipus runs himself right onto the road that leads to the prophesy's fulfillment and his ultimate downfall. References to sight are made frequently: the oracle's ability to see the future, Oedipus' inability to see the truth clearly, and Oedipus' eventual self-inflicted blindness. Examining Oedipus Rex as it's own entity, physical sight may represent psychological understanding and acceptance as things as they are and will be, something that Oedipus tragically lacks.  Analyzing Oedipus Rex as a representation of the tragedy, the theme of sight is reflective of the juxtaposition of society's difficulty accepting reality but the relief and satisfaction in the wholeness and intricate piecing of tragedy. That is, tragedy is difficult to swallow, but its quality of being foretold and perfectly crafted, makes it a piece of art that allows us to reflect on the message's relation to us. In Oedipus Rex, Oedipus' blindness showcases his own hubris, but also ties together the circular plot of the tragedy, thus completing it and making it "enjoyable" (as Sutherland says) to examine it, rather than simply painful.

5 comments:

  1. Blindness is such a prevalent image in Oedipus. I almost wrote about it myself!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice to be visiting your blog again, it has been months for me. Well this article that i've been waited for so long. I need this article to complete my assignment in the college, and it has same topic with your article. Thanks, great share. hospederia guardia civil

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such a great resource that you are providing and you give it away for free. I love seeing blog that understand the value. Im glad to have found this post as its such an interesting one! I am always on the lookout for quality posts and articles so i suppose im lucky to have found this! I hope you will be adding more in the future... kombájn szállítás Europa-Road Kft

    ReplyDelete
  4. I admire this article for the well-researched content and excellent wording. I got so involved in this material that I couldn’t stop reading. I am impressed with your work and skill. Thank you so much. Trois Copenhagen offers danish

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you very much for this great post. 성인용품

    ReplyDelete