Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Expecto Patronum!

I have always really enjoyed reading, but it wasn’t until I read the Harry Potter series in 4th grade that I became a literary freak.  By the time I started reading the series, a few of the movies had already be released, which sparked my general interest in the series.  I attended a very small elementary school, and soon my group of friends became interested in the series as well.  All of our play-dates and creative projects revolved around Harry Potter in some form or another.  I have very vivid memories of sneaking “ingredients” from our parents’ fridges to make “potions,” writing letters that “owls” would take in the middle of the night, shouting spells at one another, and running around our neighborhoods utterly convinced that our homemade broomsticks could actually fly.  Pure imagination fueled by a fantastical story about wizards and magic.

Like any other girl my age, I completely revered Hermione Granger.  She was smart, witty, and fought the “bad guys.”  I also liked that she was described as having curly hair because I was a little self-conscious about my own crazy, wild hair at that age.  Hermione certainly wasn’t without her flaws, though.  She was pretty bossy at times, which I probably picked up on too much.  Just ask my parents…

I know that having a strong, smart, female literary character such as Hermione to look up to in adolescence was so important.  I feel like today I can say that I really learned to love school and books and my curly hair because Hermione Granger taught me that those things are awesome. Hermione also taught me to recognize my flaws. I am certainly not perfect, but no one is.  No one is immune from making mistakes and everyone has insecurities.   


Hermione, in addition to Ron and Harry, also taught me that imagination and creativity are definitely magical.  Even though I obviously couldn’t cast spells, I had the power of imagination, which is innately magical.  Through my power of imagination, I could create my own Hogwarts and fight my own Voldemort.  I feel like I have lost some of that imaginative magic as I have come to come and become “an actual adult.”  It might be about time for me to read the series again and get back some of that magic and pure imagination.

7 comments:

  1. I am probably one of the only students at BYU that has never read the Harry Potter books, but your post actually tempts me to do so! Most people just say, "You haven't read them?! Who are you?!" Your description of Hermione (I can almost never resist a strong female lead) and the magic you felt reading these books makes me want to give it a try! Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't read them either so don't feel bad Jenna, but I am slightly ashamed that I haven't read them. Definitely planning on doing so especially after reading your post Leah!

      Delete
  2. I was tempted to write about Hermione as well! Her passion and intelligence inspired me as a child to be myself and stand up for the things I believe in! Everything from her defense of the house elves' rights to her large teeth to her complete lack of understanding of quidditch to her hidden affection for the dorkiest of dorks, Ron Weasley (though I too adore him) made her incredibly endearing and one of my favorite childhood heroines. Who am I kidding, one of my favorite heroines even still! Love your thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Merlins Beard! I was going to write about Hermione too! I was just a few hours behind. I am convinced that I would not be who I am if it hadn't been for her influence in my young life.I am so glad you all relate!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I though about using Hermione as well! It's amazing how much of an influence she was for so many girls (as well as others I'm sure!) in this world. She hold such a special place in my heart!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this! Hermione is real and relatable, because even though not everyone turns into a cat, we've all had days when it seems preferable to hide in the bathroom stall instead of face life. Maybe it's this character that has made Emma Watson such a strong and influential voice as of late? Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think every girl that has ever read Harry Potter could write about Hermione. I mean..what's not to love about her? I wish I could identify more with her because I was similar, but in reality I think I just WANT to be more like her. My dad used to buy the books and we would read them together as a family (and fight over who got to take it to bed.) yay Potterheads!

    ReplyDelete