Thursday, January 22, 2015

Mythical Royalty

When we were given the assignment to write a sonnet, at first I was a little intimidated. I doubted myself for a moment and thought back had I ever written a sonnet? Maybe I had written a sonnet in one of my high school English classes, but I am almost positive it was nothing note-worthy.

However, when I started researching to write my sonnet I was quite excited to start writing! So here’s my sonnet! I am excited to get feedback on it. I feel pretty new at all of this, but you have to start somewhere right?



Sonnet 1

From a Father’s ached forehead I sprang, formed.
Yet with Father beside, I couldn’t fear;
For I his gift, shields and bolts I adorned.
No strength did derive from a mother dear.
I catch commonalities of the owl,
Endlessly perfect, snowy white, clever
Defending my nest against all prowlers.
Patient, perching, and spiraling, I ever
Soar, yet standing safe as an olive tree.
Pure branches stretch from my extremities,
Resilience in my roots. I can’t foresee,
A loss able to swipe my entities.
Behold, I Athena, Goddess of War,
Protect my home and live forever more!





So I picked to write about Greek Mythical Goddess Athena for many reasons…First of all I was unsure which myth to write about, and when I came across the Greek Gods my love for them was rekindled! I have always especially loved Athena. She is strong, compassionate and loves her family. She is also pure and confident; everything a woman could be!
It was a fun to research and write a little about her. Let me know what you think!


3 comments:

  1. This sonnet has a lot of really great description and I loveeee how you didn't reveal who it actually was about until the very end. The only suggestion I could give would be look at where the accents fall on the words in the iambic pentameter. It's super hard!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You write very elegantly. I felt Athena's gumption in your words! I really like that your use of the owl flowed with your writing. It wasn't a random interjection, but a continuous effort to help the reader understand how Athena is like the owl. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this sonnet, especially the volta at the end, in which Athena reveals her identity. Beautiful visual aid, as well! The lines with enjambment work really well, I would love to see even more of that (it's something I want to use more of as well)!

    ReplyDelete