Thursday, January 22, 2015

The Sonnet of a BYU Transfer Student

When we received our last assignment, to write a sonnet or memorize one, I first decided on memorizing, but then felt like trying my hand at writing after all!  So after class last Wednesday, I sat down in the hall, grabbed my notebook and pen, and thought about what I could possibly write about.  My lover?  Nope, don't have one.  The sunset?  Nope, it's really could and cloudy here in Utah.  The ocean?  Nothing really "called to me," as you could say.

Then, I happened to spy a couple walking down the hall, blissfully holding hands.  Ah, now this, this I could write about.
  I sat for a moment in silence,then thought of the first couple of ideas I wanted for the lines.  I love writing sonnets because the whole thing feels not only like a mode of self-expression, but like a game as well!  It's a puzzle to get the words to fit together the right way, rhyme the right words, and say the right things in a way that cleverly gets the point across.

Now, I'm no "Master of Sonnet-ism" by a long-shot, so I'm excited for some feedback on this one. Professor Burton told me I could just use it instead of doing an epic,so that's why it's nothing like the actual assignment.

At first, when I applied, they did not tell
I'd enter a new realm, not just a school
Where students seek escape from singles' hell;
Alone at 22 is just too cruel.
At most schools, prized is selectivity--
Frowned upon to be an easy dater.
But here is dif'rent, as I've come to see
By invites taped to our refrigerator.
Girls are vicious when their men are taken;
Best to not let flirty glances linger.
I did, one time, shamefully mistaken.
I know now to always check their finger.
I'm unsure how to best escape this mess...
To try for my BA or MRS?

3 comments:

  1. Hahaha oh my heavens this was just fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So on point for BYU! Great sonnet!
    I agree with you that sonnets are fun and like a puzzle. It's a fun way to express yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really think this should become a famous poem at BYU. So good! I like that your poem had a personal nature to it. Great writing!

    ReplyDelete