Monday, January 12, 2015

Breaking The StereoType

Poetry has always seemed to have a natural pull on my heart since childhood.

I remember my mom reading me anonymous poetry my dad had written while they had dated. I was simply amazed to find him to be the author of the poems as I grew older. I had heard them and adored them since a young age, and ever since then I have always been eager to develop the talent to write poetry as my father does. I still have yet to endeavor on that pursuit, but I was so excited to see our course syllabus and see the first topic we would be studying would be poetry.


Poetry encompasses us each day!  It is blasting through speakers in our music, it is present in the scriptures, and it could even be included in a text message. In fact, I am sure that I have bored some of my friends with countless text messages filled of quotes and poems that come from my poetry obsession. I personally love those cliché sappy love poems. I can’t get enough of them.

Poetry is so unique, diverse, and can become exactly what the author is feeling. Poetry is the feelings that the author has been dying to portray and poetry appears to be the only way to convey those feelings almost completely.

I love that poetry and other sorts of literature have become so social and accessible. One of my favorite ways to discover poetry is through Tumblr. I have had a Tumblr since high school, and I often find myself connecting with strangers through different sorts of visual poetry. It has become so universal, relatable, and draws us all together.

Its our way of expressing to one another know that we truly know how one another feel.

I believe that poetry helps us all to find the beauty in the simplest of things, or maybe the faults, the sorrow, and joy in any situation. That is why I chose to memorize Shakespeare’s Sonnet 130. 

Shakespeare is a legacy, and I have adored his writings since reading his plays and sonnets in high school. I hope that all readers can find the joy I have found through his somewhat smug humor that is found in this sonnet. He portrays his lover not as the “hottest girl”, but actually quite the opposite. It breaks the cliché of most of the lovey dovey sonnets.

I hope that all readers can find their own personal link and love of poetry that has beheld my life.


1 comment:

  1. I think it is really sweet that your dad wrote poetry for your mom. I really enjoyed your post!

    ReplyDelete