Sunday, March 29, 2015

A Work in Progress

Our "Analyzing Literature" English class has been working on constructing an ebook together. Each of us is writing two chapters on different subjects about digital literacy. Today I was able to go through the ebook so far and check our progress (Thanks to Jenna for all her incredible work).

I think we are moving ahead. I feel like we are going to be able to get the ebook to where it needs to be for publication under Dr. Burton. I was struck when he told us that he has only been able to publish one out of four ebooks he has had classes work on. That was motivation to me to make sure that ours is of high quality.

The strengths of our ebook:

  • I think the variety is great
  • I love the current layout and organization. It makes total sense and is logical. 
  • The range of research is interesting
  • The connections to literature add a unique lense through which to view this issues. 
The weaknesses:
  • I could see very quickly that my chapters need to be stepped up to match the level that others are writing at. 
  • We need to ensure that with the variety there is still a continuety. I feel like this practice of reading each other's chapters will help us to look back at ours and see how we can make our chapters "fit" with the overall vision of the book. 
  • Our literary connections need to truly inform our chapters. 
  • We are getting very close to the end of the semester and we are still very far away from being ready to publish. 
For me this exercise was great motivation to work hard on my chapters this week. Thanks everyone for the hard work you are doing! 

No comments:

Post a Comment