Wednesday, March 18, 2015

An In-Depth Approach

Ok, to be honest, the chapters I've been working on for our eBook, "Becoming Digiliterary," definitely needed some fleshing out.   Finding sources was not easy though!  However, with some new tactics, I was able to find a lot more than I thought on my topics.  Here are my results.

eBibliography:

Un-Limiting Our Generation

Tweethis:  The generations to come have a different take on the uses and opportunities afforded by online scholarship as a source of knowledge, as well as the use of devices in the classroom, than do the generations before them.

Social Graph:
  • ·         Conversation b/w Shelby and Rachel Newell:  I asked my roommate, who heads over to the Provo Library at least 3 times a week, why she didn’t consider using a Kindle or eReader of some sort and an app like Amazon or Overdrive to save her time.  I explained that if she used one of those, she could have endless books available without being put on a waiting list for them.  She told me that reading was her way of disconnecting.  She said that she spent so much time in front of a screen that she just wanted to feel the book and see the pages of the right side grow less and less.  It gave her a feeling of accomplishment.  We then discussed how learning is affected by digital reading and if people retain information better from a printed page or online.
  • ·         Conversation b/w Shelby and Cooper Dana, a sophomore at Westwood Highschool in Mesa, AZ (Mesa Public Schools have recently switched over to iPads instead of textbooks in the classroom):  My brother told me that in his classes, they only use iPads instead of real books in their classrooms.  He said that he loves it, because he doesn’t have to carry around books anymore...and it’s really easy to download games onto the iPads.  He is sixteen, so this really didn’t shock me.  This was interesting to me because the eBooks they use are incredibly useful, but aren’t dedicated to purely learning.
  • ·         Yahoo! Answers: Can I use a kindle for college textbooks instead of actual books? (https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20121128163620AAqEweS )

New Media:
·         Youtube: iTools: Kindles in the Classroom (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aV6XOozvtLk )
·         THE EVERYTHING BOOK: READING IN THE AGE OF AMAZON (http://www.theverge.com/2014/12/17/7396525/amazon-kindle-design-lab-audible-hachette )
·         Amazon Store: Engaging Students (http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html?docId=1000412651 )

Social Networks:

Traditional Scholarly Sources:
·         “Words with Friends:”  Socially Networked Reading on Goodreads (http://www.mlajournals.org/doi/pdf/10.1632/pmla.2013.128.1.238 )

Get Off My Property:

Tweethis:  Increased online access has upped the readership of eBooks, but at the cost of much copyright infringement. 

Social Graph: 
·         Chat between Shelby and Jason Ray:
S:  Hi Jason.  Can I ask you a question for my English class?
I'm going to say yes.  Do you think that the rise of eBook popularity has created an increase in illegal downloading for authors?
J: It's not something I've ever thought of before, but I would say yes--it's a lot easier to illegally download a book than to steal a hard copy of it, so I would assume it's done more now.
And no, you may not ask me a question
S:  Have you ever done this, and if not, what would be something about it that would tempt you?
J:  I haven't. I'm personally against illegal downloading of any type of media and will not do so.
The biggest pull to download something illegally for me would be if I can't get something through regular channels--for example, a book that I really want to read that isn't in the US or in any stores or libraries I have access to.
But I still wouldn't do it.
S:  You're a champ.  Thank you!

·         Chat between Shelby and Celeste Dana: 
S:  hey maaaam.  Can I ask you a question for my english class?
C:  Of course.  Talking or facebook chat
S:  Chat...so I can copy and paste!  Do you think that eBooks have created a greater risk of illegal downloading for authors?
C:  Probably.  But I think that's the risk of working in a digital world.  But, because there's a lot more chance to get their books published and in front of the public, it's a trade off.
S:  Have you ever done this, and if not, what would be something about it that would tempt you?
C:  Have I ever done what?
S:  downloaded a book illegally?
C:  No
S:  Is there any aspect of it that would tempt you to do so?
C:  NO.
S:  Sweet.  Thank you! 
C:  That was simple

New Media:


Social Networks:

Traditional Scholarly Sources:
  • ·         Digital Piracy: Factors That Influence Attitude toward Behavior




This exercise made me search for a lot more sources than I had thought of before.  I'll be sure to look for others as I continue to work on the chapters in our book!  

2 comments:

  1. It was neat to see the responses you are starting to get on Google+. Good work finding that Goodreads group on Google+. I think you did a good job identifying a group of people that might have something to say.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't it so neat how easy we can get answera to questions online? I loved how you showed the chats you had with people. It is so easy to get access to what we need on the internet. I think you're doing great at getting the research you need!

    ReplyDelete