Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Searching for Support

Researching is so much more efficient these days! Thanks, internet! Phew! I just spent the last significant portion of my evening attempting to find articles that support or at least relate to the chapters that I will be writing for our english class' ebook on the way that the Kindle, Goodreads, and Amazon affect the way we consume, understand, and interact with literature, authors, and other readers. 
One of my topic ideas was the isolation that comes when we have the ability to consume so much from the Kindle without ever having to go to the bookstore or consult with other people face to face. You can receive recommendation, read reviews, purchase, and read literature all from one device without moving out of the same chair or interacting with anyone face to face... even without interacting with anyone whom you actually know. 

So today I got to work on researching some scholarly sources for a little bit of a foundation, and the process started out a little shaky... 



... because I found a lot of 'scholarly articles' according to google's standards, but couldn't find articles through BYU. I found some cool books about literature becoming digitalized through the BYU Library website, and they even provided me with a map to know exactly where I can find the books I'm interested in. I'll have to head over there tomorrow.

The scholarly google articles are peer reviewed, but gave a really broad explanation of digital literature and how it is consumed. Pretty much all of my key word searches resulted with Writing about Literature in the Digital Age, so that was certainly fun to see. If I were writing about this in any other class, I still probably would have used that book as a reference. Cool stuff. Researching the topics definitely helped me to see how relevant this ebook will be. 

There were a lot of opinion articles about teenagers being too tied to technology and a little research about how teenagers have less face-to-face social skills these days because they're so tied to their phones... These principles relate, but I'm looking for something a little bit more specifically associated with reading in private. Is the trouble I'm having finding support indicative that maybe this chapter isn't relevant? Or necessary? Thoughts? 

1 comment:

  1. Trying researching scholarship about ebooks and literacy. I found one using the ebrary resource at the HBLL, Turning the Page : The Evolution of the Book
    by Phillips, Angus. On ebrary you can reed full books electronically. It's current (2014) and probably has some bibliography that would be current. Try that or something like it

    ReplyDelete