Thursday, March 26, 2015

Jenna Is a Genius

First, I want to start by saying that we need to bring in some peach rings or something for Jenna, a gorgeous blonde in our class, on Monday for being a baller editor and putting out the third draft of our eBook.  That clearly took a ton of time and effort, and she is a champ for getting it done.  It looks pretty spiffy and that table of contents!  Art.  Purely a masterpiece.

I read the whole thing tonight and really enjoyed it!   I definitely think that we have explored a lot of avenues and topics as far as the platforms go.  Something that I liked was that the chapters don't really resemble each other.  There's not a repeat of ideas or information that seems overdone.  So yay for that!  Also, the chapters seem pretty well written.  Obviously there is room for improvement, but they kept my interest and NOT EVEN because I am pals with all of the authors.  That was just a bonus.

Of course, there are a few things that we can still work through.  I tried clicking on the links that were included in a few of the chapters and they didn't go anywhere.  That could just be my Wifi or Kindle, but I want to be sure we're aware of that in case it could be a potential problem, you know?  Also, a few of the chapters kind of oppose each other.  Is that ok?  For example, Jenna's second chapter is fantastic, and is all about the benefits of self-publishing and how it's helping authors so much.  Then my chapter comes in and basically refutes all of that by discussing the negative effects of copyright issues.  So what do we want to do about that?  I think they're both valid points, so should we keep them because they show different perspectives in the same eBook?  I mean, I'm not suggesting scrapping either of them, but it's just an interesting predicament and I'd like some other opinions.

Other than that, it's looking pretty so far!  I did like seeing my name there on the Kindle.  Maybe there is something to this whole self-publishing/digiliteracy stuff after all.

1 comment:

  1. You bring up an interesting point about the opposing chapters, Shelby. With those two chapters specifically, maybe they need to just be more clearly labeled or defined as the "positives" and "'negatives" of self publishing, because I agree that we should keep both. That's one idea.

    ReplyDelete