Thursday, March 19, 2015

From Print to People

The way we have been taught (whether intentionally or not)  to conduct research essentially boils down to one technique...



But there are limitations to this technique and there might be better ways to become informed on our topics for the ebook our class is writing. The following documents my efforts in conducting "socially optimized research on my chapter topics. I feel like I have such a different take on these subjects than I would have if I had stuck with my traditional ways. And I actually had more fun doing research this way!

Goodreads or Gulag?

Online privacy concerns on Goodreads and Amazon can prove to be a roadblock to individuals. These concerns can be quieted as awareness and individual responsibility increase.


Social Graph: I started with the easiest person in the world to talk to, my mother.

"Meghan, I am probably the wrong person to as because I never give it a second thought."

This actually was valuable, it highlights a truth about many individuals. Many people who use Amazon or other online resources regularly don't even give it a second thought. It doesn't concern them one bit. On the flipside, there are many who are very concerned as shown by my New Media resources.

"When it comes to social networks people put everything out there for others to read and know about.. I guess that is somewhat the point."

I loved this quote. It shows the paradox between desiring privacy, but how putting yourself out there is the function of sites such as Goodreads.

New Media: The following images (comics) inform me about the public's view of online privacy and their concerns. The amount of material like this was plentiful, indicating that these feelings are widespread. Check out these images here, here, here, and here

Social Networks: I struck gold when I found these two profiles on Twitter, School of Privacy and Privacy Go. They each cover online privacy issues. They tweet articles and updates with the mission of teaching people "How To be Safe and secure online."

Traditional Scholarly Sources:
Using traditional research methods I found this article from The Indiana Law Journal. This source will be incredibly valuable because it is specifically on privacy for digital readers. I will also explore the sources cited in the article to find further research. 

“Mandy’s Magical Book and the Magic of Renting eBooks”


eLending is quickly becoming more available to readers which brings a host of benefits. However, there are critical issues that must be resolved in order for eLending to reach its potential in the future. 

Social Graph:I reached out to librarians with the simple questions of "What have been issues you have encountered in eLending?" and "What are some of the successes have you seen in regards to eLending?" I am currently in correspondence with two librarians, both of which are responsible for the ebook purchasing for the library. I will keep the blog posted with updates as they come. 

New Media: 
Infographics are a form of new media. This infographic discusses the trend of eReading. From it I can draw the inference that currently eBook users purchase more books than non-electronic readers. Traditional readers tend to rent books more. I could make predictions about how this could shift if eLending was increased. 

Social Networks: I scored on this one. Provo Library has a Pinterest page dedicated to the new books they add to their electronic library. This would be a great discussion point on how libraries are trying to increase readers knowledge on eLending. This also informs me about what sort of titles libraries are searching out for their electronic resources. 

Traditional Scholarly Sources:
This article deals with the current issues surrounding electronic book lending. It will help me to write with authority on this topic. 


3 comments:

  1. For your first social graph situation with your mom, I had that same situation with some other people. They would tell me that they don't use the reviews on platforms so they have nothing to say. And I'm sitting here like no no this is good! I want to know WHY you don't see the usefulness it because it matters to me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your pictures and graphics were great. It's also do cool that you've been in touch with the librarians! Since this is their field, they're probably a lot more willing to answer questions and help you out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it's interesting to see that the Provo library uses Pinterest! It goes to show that even libraries feel the need to join sites and such to promote literacy. Does that make sense? Like a lot of people use Pinterest so the odds of them seeing it and using the library are much increased. I think it definitely proves your point that eLending is something more people need to be informed about.

    ReplyDelete