Sunday, March 22, 2015

Put on the science glasses, it's Research time!

So, I will be typing up this post as I find sources, to keep things fresh in my mind. I've decided to start with my second chapter, as it is the one that I am currently spending the most time working on.

"It's Us. Only Us": The Movement of Reading from a Solitary Hobby to a Social Activity

So, for this chapter I'm using the changes made to the traditional comic book formula in the graphic novel Watchmen to highlight some of our changes in the way that reading is becoming a more and more social activity.

For my Social Graph, I will be talking with two people who I know through social networks. The first is a personal friend named Johnathan Grover. He is a major comic book nerd, has attended and even worked at Comic Cons in the past, and has pretty big opinions on such matters. The second is a user on Imgur who goes by the username Deadpoolsupplier. Spending more than a few minutes looking at his comments should indicate why I find him to be a good source.

For the New Media section, I have found a treasure trove in a single video: Watchmen - The Phenomenon: The Comic That Changed Comics 30 minutes of discussion about what Watchmen is and how it changed comic books? Count me in.

For my social networks, I will be using two. The first will be the reviews section of Watchmen on Goodreads. The other is a forum discussing Watchmen over at Comic Vine.

As for my traditional sources, I will be focusing on one in particular that covers this issue very explicitly: Hughes, Jamie "Who Watches the Watchmen: Ideology and 'Real World' Superheroes"



Unstuck in Time: An Analysis of the Nonlinear Consumption of Literature

For my Social Graph, I will be setting up a facebook group among my friends and discussing with them in a style similar to a facebook "focus group." I have no made the group yet due to time constraints, but I think it will be an interesting way of gathering opinions. 

For my New Media, I will be using something interesting, but which demonstrates my idea wonderfully. It is a video called Slaughterhouse Five Kurt Vonnegut reads War backwards HD.
In the video, it has music playing and a voiceover reading the portion of the story when Billy Pilgrim becomes unstuck in time and watches a movie backwards, which changes the entire meaning of the movie. 

I had a hard time finding discussion forums for Slaughterhouse Five outside of Goodreads, so I will use a somewhat combined source between Social Networks and New Media by way of a podcast that features a book club having a discussion about Slaughterhouse Five that was put on by Slate Audiobooks

For my Traditional source, I'll be working with an article titled Slaughterhouse Five: Time out of Joint by Arnold Edelstein. 

No comments:

Post a Comment