Monday, March 2, 2015

More Questions Than Answers

As per my title, you can probably tell that yes, I have more questions that answers.  Research often does that to you... For my class's e-book, we are going to be focusing on literature in the digital age.  But to even produce any product, we obviously have to do research, which is what I have been doing diligently this afternoon.  You know, I was kind of skeptical that there was going to be anything really super applicable to our topic in general.  I was kind of worried that we were going to be grasping at straws.  But, thanks to the internet, I found so much cool stuff about Goodreads and reading literature in the digital age from a simple search on the HBLL's article search function.  I didn't read anything really in depth yet, but I got a good idea of what was out there.  I am excited that we have so many resources at the tips of our fingers that will aid us in writing this awesome book.

So, my personal topic was a whole other beast to tackle.  I started typing things and nothing really was relevant...maybe I just don't have the correct key words yet.  In any case, I started to panic a little bit, especially because I know we're supposed to have a prototype of the book done by next Monday. Originally I had two ideas.  The first idea discussed Goodreads as a way for people to reconsume literature and the second idea discussed greater accessibility to classic literature.  I just might've found a way to connect them!

I say might very loosely because I really don't have any idea if my ideas are completely viable.  That's why I really welcome any feedback...negative or positive.

My connecting factor comes from a master's thesis that I read about Pride and Prejudice adaptions in film and literature.  So it wasn't necessarily connected to my ideas, but it made me realize an important fact: the internent has increased our exposure to classic literature expressed in forms other than the original text.  We have film adaptions, TV adaptions, podcasts, youtube clips, etc.  I don't feel as if it is Goodreads that is driving people to "reconsume" classic literature; I feel as if external sources are doing that.  BUT, I do feel like Goodreads is the prefect vehicle to bridge all of those realms.  I feel as if it is a central place where people can go to share their thoughts and experience new ideas.



As I've said above, I know my ideas are really rough.  Any feedback would be greatly welcome.

3 comments:

  1. Do you have any way to really connect Goodreads or Amazon to the topic? Like...maybe you could talk about how the forums are keeping titles that could easily die out alive and well, creating more audiences and conversation. Orrrrrrr....yeah, I'm not sure. To be honest, I haven't read Pride and Prejudice yet, which I feel is a crime against my womanhood, and I wish that I could be of more help!

    ReplyDelete
  2. When we originally got this project, I thought about using Pride and Prejudice for the very reason that I've never actually read the original book. I've seen a bajillion adaptations - Bride and Prejudice (a bollywood film) is a personal favorite - and yet I know the story so well! I'm sure that I'm missing some things, but because I've read so many books based off the storyline and seen so many movies about it, I haven't felt that push to read the classic novel. It's pretty sad actually. I think you have a great idea! I think your idea that "Goodreads is the perfect vehicle to bridge all of those realms" is so true. The digital platforms are keeping the classics alive. Maybe I'm too "prideful" to read the classics, but the reviews and discussions on Goodreads can breakdown my "prejudices"?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have confidence! I think your ideas are coming together well. I think this reconsumption idea will fit in the ebook well.

    ReplyDelete