Sunday, March 8, 2015

Working Cover/Title

So for our current purposes, we need a working (very most likely temporary) cover page and title for our ebook. I've been researching for both and wanted to share my ideas in a post. We'll definitely discuss this tomorrow, but here you can see what I've been working on.

How to Make a Cover Page
Heaven knows that I don't know how to do that on my own. First of all, there's an amazing YouTube video that details exactly how to create an ebook cover page! Wow, thanks internet! The video says that the best size for a cover is 15 cm (height) by 10 cm (width). My graphic-design-major roommate helped me to size everything and add a title using PowerPoint. She disagreed with the online tutorial and this is what we came up with together. Thanks, friend!

Cover Photo
So I looked around for a good picture that would use an actual kindle (or something that appeared to be a kindle) and would either show someone reading it or symbolically showcase readership in the digital age. I found this photo, which is very similar to Dr. Burton's last book cover, on flickr. It's free and available for use, but it is extremely similar to the last cover. How do we feel about that? I like the moving train in the background, because I think of it as symbolizing the movement of readership and the accelerating rate at which technology is becoming more and more relevant. I like that the woman is holding the Kindle like a book, but the screen is clearly lit. This would be obvious in a black and white version of the picture too. There are a lot of good other options too. So let me know what you think.

Title
So far, we seem to all like Saren's word, digiliterary or digiliterate, and so I wanted to incorporate that word. I also think it could be useful to use the words Amazon, Goodreads, and Kindle in the title, so that people searching those subjects online will know that those platforms really are the focus of this ebook. What do you think? Here are some of my ideas:

Becoming Digiliterate: How Amazon, Goodreads, and the Kindle are Changing Readership 

Becoming Digiliterate: Reading in the Digital Age with Amazon, Goodreads, and Kindle
... meh. I don't love that. 

Becoming Digiliterate: How Amazon, Goodreads, and Kindle are Changing Readership in the Digital Age
...so that's pretty long. Does 'Kindle' need a 'the' before it? 

So that's what I have so far. Comments? Questions? We'll talk about it tomorrow in class. I've thought about moving the title text to the far left corner? How do we feel about the fonts? Let me know what you think! 



1 comment:

  1. We wanted to see how this image would look in Black and White and in Low Resolution, so I did some really quick mockup.
    See them here:
    http://imgur.com/a/Pgl7U

    ReplyDelete