Monday, February 16, 2015

The Karma of Reading in a Digital World: You Get What You Give.



I enjoyed the assignment for my English class here at Brigham Young University to discover what makes a good review on social media platforms such as Amazon.com and Goodreads.com.   The posts that had the most appeal to me personally were those done by people who really seemed knowledgeable in their field.  This is a crucial component of a respectable review.  The user should be able to do a quick analysis of the book and explain a bit about it without giving too much away from the story.  For example, when I was reading Heart of Darkness, our assigned novel, I found the reviews that expounded briefly on the symbolism and themes extremely helpful.  Through them, I was able to identify a few points and meanings that I would probably have missed if I hadn’t looked at the reviews.  However, I found that when the users were overly dramatic and either idolized or loathed the book, I didn’t take it as seriously.  The review should have a fairly unbiased tone, simply stating the good and bad points of the work, not being so forceful that the reader feels intimidated to form his or her own opinion.  Another deterrent for me was definitely the length.  Reading a long analysis of the book was something I turned to only in sheer desperation for enlightenment.  The users who were able to be concise and to the point were the ones I found to be most effective.  

  It was interesting to me to see the different reviews on each site based on the different type of users that each attracts.  When I went on Amazon to check out the reviews for our assigned novel, Heart of Darkness, I looked up a few of the things that users had also reviewed.  There was one account that I really enjoyed.  He had a lot of reviews and comments with real depth about some heavy literature, but also showed his playful side by reviewing a fluffy stuffed dog toy that his little daughter had ordered.  This is an advantage that Amazon has over Goodreads.  Many, many people use Amazon for various things, whereas Goodreads is a bit less well-known.  The reviews from Amazon seem to come from people that are more….”real,” I guess you could say, while those on Goodreads have an “English-teacher-esque” persona.

 I felt like my own review on Amazon would go to a broader, more generalized audience.  This made me feel comfortable to write a bit about my own experience with the novel, but also pushed me to keep it short so that it would get more reads.  When I posted to Goodreads, I felt a sense of apprehension because the people there are serious readers!  I worried that I didn’t have the experience or intelligence to be taken seriously on that platform.  But hooray for me, it’s up there anyway!
 
I found myself surprised by the pleasure I found in having people react positively to my posts on Goodreads!  Entering in group discussions made me think harder about the books, but also made me clarify and solidify my own ideas.  It made me want to participate more and get other people’s viewpoints.  Posting my review on Facebook was another big leap for me though.  It was strange to combine my academic, task-oriented self with my online persona as well.  But I think that is a really interesting part of this whole project; combining online identities to discover and round-out ourselves.  Plus, this project has not only affected me!  Now my roommates are actively involved in my reading/posting habits and are broadening their own literary horizons by talking with me about books and commenting on my posts!  

In the digital age, you definitely get what you put out.  As active online reviewers and readers, we can benefit from other people’s perspectives and deepen our own understanding in ways not possible through solo literary consumption.

No comments:

Post a Comment