Tuesday, February 3, 2015

Moral Teacher




Literature is what has instructed, edified and strengthened the world since the beginning; no matter what the format. It encompasses the good and the bad and can lead us to want to become more than we are. It can become somewhat of a teacher to us. 
I fondly remember the first time I read the classic novel “To Kill a Mockingbird.” I enjoyed the character development of young Scout as she undergoes some trials beyond her adolescent understanding. I remember I had felt similar to her in my  own awkward adolescent stages and I can now appreciate some of the deeper life lessons so beautifully written by Harper Lee. She eloquently and bluntly chastens and teaches valuable lessons through a loving father Atticus who properly taught his children.
One of my favorite teachings illustrates the kind of man and father he was, “You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view... Until you climb inside of his skin and walk around in it.”
Atticus was essentially teaching his children to love without judgment, and have the courage to stand up for what is right. He was a respecter of persons but would stand up for his beliefs: They're certainly entitled to think that, and they're entitled to full respect for their opinions... but before I can live with other folks I've got to live with myself. The one thing that doesn't abide by majority rule is a person's conscience.”
Atticus stood up for the underdog, and even fearlessly fought a losing battle until the end because of his noble conscience, and instilled this in his children. It causes us to reflect on our own nature, and how we treat those who are “different” from us. We can change our own skewed perspective of our worst enemy to that of an innocent mockingbird if we come to understand them. In this Atticus strengthened not only his fictionally children morally, but me and I am sure many other readers.
We all together can protect the mockingbirds for as Atticus said, “ Remember it is a sin to kill a mockingbird.”

1 comment:

  1. I don't know if you heard the news, but Harper Lee is releasing a sequel to this book! I can't wait to read it.

    ReplyDelete