Saturday, February 7, 2015

Connecting Through Common Misery

I love to read. But Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad was hard for me to get into. I’m the kind of person that likes to snuggle up on the couch and read for hours. When I tried to do that with this book, I knew immediately that I would fall asleep. I needed to find a way to read the book and actually be interested in it. And so, I decided to do something I had been planning to do for some time. I bought a gym membership. Reading while working out on the elliptical machine has always helped me focus and so I decided to try it out with Heart of Darkness. It worked! I was able to focus on the story and understand what was going on. I discovered a new love for the kindle as well. When you bring a hard copy of a book to the gym you have to hold it open on the treadmill or elliptical, but a kindle is small enough to be set on top of the machine so that you can read hands free.


Reading on an elliptical machine.
Link to: {http://karenrussell.typepad.com/my_lifejust_not_on_the_ro/2009/01/the-little-stuff.html}

Part of the assignment of reading Heart of Darkness was to look up reviews on Amazon and Goodreads. My favorite part of looking up reviews for Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad on Amazon was the titles of the reviews. It was a blast! I found that I empathized so well with the people that hated the book and I respected those that loved the book. Some of the critical review titles actually made me laugh out loud. For example, here are some of my favorites:

"Well, that was depressing."

"Colonial misery, misery, and more misery."

"Classic?"

"The horror and the hope."


The reviews on Goodreads were much the same, but I found one comment on a review particularly helpful. A woman named Charlene wrote –

"In an effort to class up the joint, I listened to this audio book performed by Kenneth Branagh.

I say performed, because it wasn't just a plain reading of the story. He added depth to the observations and took what I might have found to be a boring story and breathed life into it.

I enjoyed this quite a bit and would recommend this audio version to anyone interested in this classic tale."


In all my searching of different editions of Heart of Darkness, I hadn't found an audiobook. Charlene’s comment really made me want to listen to Heart of Darkness rather than read it. We’ve recently been discussing in class the differences in reading something and seeing it performed. Heart of Darkness could be an amazing performance.

Finding the reviews and comments about Heart of Darkness on Amazon and Goodreads helped me to connect with strangers. I could relate to their opinions and I could understand more about the story through their love of the book. Amazon and Goodreads can also lead to new discoveries – like finding out about an audiobook for Heart of Darkness.

2 comments:

  1. I love your idea of reading while working out! That helps me to focus too! Would I rather focus on my insane heart rate or Heart of Darkness? I'll choose the latter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also love your idea about reading while working out! I might have to try it out.

    ReplyDelete