Monday, February 23, 2015

Changes and Beginnings

If you aren't aware, this blog is actually a premise to prepare us (the students) to create a semester long project of a collaborative eBook about using literature in the digital age. If you'd like a basic summary of our goals, go here.

So in an earlier blog post about Harry Potter I was talking about how near and dear that series is to me, and it was my original plan to use that as my book to relate to my adventures into the digiliterary (yes, I did just create that word..) world. BUT I actually decided to take a bit of a different route, and use another book that's been highly personal to me called "The Goose Girl" by Shannon Hale.

Although I've changed directions, that doesn't mean I wouldn't love to write about dear Harry! Literally everything in my life can be compared to "Harry Potter."

Quick summary of "The Goose Girl:" There's a quiet crowned princess named Ani who's father dies and her mom decided to give her crown to one of her siblings instead and send Ani off to another kingdom to wed their prince. Oh, and she can talk to animals. Which apparently isn't normal. On her trip to the kingdom her lady in waiting overthrows her and then runs to the prince pretending to be Ani. Ani takes a job as a goose girl trying to figure out how to get back her position, and she sits back quietly until she finds out her own kingdom is going to be under attack and so she rushes in to save the day. And there's a prince disguised as a guard who falls in love with goose girl Ani thrown into the midst. 

I didn't do the plot justice at all, but I'll tell you that you need to read it!

And if this sounds like a fairy tale, it's because it's actually an adaptation of a fairy tale called, go figure, The Goose Girl. 

So what ways can I tie this book my digiliterary immersion? Well so far I just have a couple of ideas, but I'm always open for suggestions!

1: The digiliterary age is (for many) a new and strange land, sort of like Ani going to the foreign land to wed a prince. While most of us won't be using the digiliterary land to wed a prince, it is hard to find a way to feel comfortable and find our place within and how to make our presence of worth. This is like Ani finding her place in a new land and finding a way to become her best self through this. Side note, this was also Hale's debut novel, so it's like she was finding her way through a new land. As well as this became a comforting book for me that came to feel like another home.

2. The main platforms we've been working with is Goodreads and Amazon. Through my own experiences, I've been seeing the way that different reviews work between these two platforms, as well as makes a good review. As a princess, Ani has different "reviews" coming from people from all walks of life. When she's under cover as a goose girl, she ends up hearing a very different side of these reviews. I'm not sure exactly how to tie this together, but I think I'm onto something!

3. Okay, when I said a couple of idea, I literally meant a couple. So now we're here. I'm going to try to keep brainstorming, but it's a start!

So pray tell, thoughts on these ideas? Any different thoughts? 


3 comments:

  1. I think it could be neat to relate the different types of speaking discussed in the book - people-speaking, animal-speaking, wind-speaking. You could relate it to being diverse in our Goodreads life to be able to give better reviews or being able to join different discussions depending on the genre you've read.
    I definitely liked your second idea the best though! You could possibly relate my thoughts above to this idea. When we've read multiple genres, we become educated in different "cultures". For example, I don't have a full grasp on the Harry Potter culture because I have never read the books - there are things that I will never understand until I read them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think your second idea is great! I haven't heard of anyone that has that take on it, so it would be a really nice contribution to the project. The reviews are a really big part of the platforms, so they should definitely be included.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Goose Girl is one of my very favorite books! Ok, I think that combining your ideas and Jenna's. I think that could be really interesting.

    ReplyDelete