Monday, February 2, 2015

Depression Has its Own Magic

Often times an emotional illness is overlooked by what we see physically. It's easy to ignore the pain someone is feeling and just toss it off by saying, "oh, they're just sad."

Because of this, those of us with a mental illness such as depression are often tossed aside, left alone with these thoughts that continually penetrate our already weakened minds. Throughout my own personal struggles in life with chronic depression I've sought solace within the secure bindings of my books, and within the Harry Potter by J.K. Rowling in particular.


This series encompasses such a vast expanse of emotions and feelings, but the focus on depression within was a point that stuck with me, and has helped me remember that "Happiness can be found even in the darkest times if one only remembers to turn on the light." Albus Dumbledore, Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban.

While Harry has struggled with losing his parents his whole life, I never lost a parent until 2009 when my dad passed away.

When the dementors come and take away all the joy and happiness, and remind Harry of all the dark times in his life, I'm reminded of those dark times in my life, and the misery and hopelessness that seeps in during the most unsuspecting times.

When Luna is made fun of for being different, my heart aches at being made fun of and eventually having an eating disorder.

When Snape reveals how he loved and lost Lily, my heart yearns for all that in my life has been lost.

But it's not the misery in these stories that stood out to me, it's the way the characters bonded together and found a way out. They provide for Harry and many such as Molly Weasley and Sirius step in as parental figures. They ate chocolate and comforted each other when the dementors took their joy. They embraced Luna for who she was, and found that just because she's different doesn't mean she's a bad person. And Harry calls Snape the bravest man he ever knew for having the strength to carry on and protect despite the pain he's endured.

It may be clichéd, but J.K. Rowling changed my life by giving me that 11 year old boy in the cupboard under the stairs. She gave me an escape full of friends that continually help me. She gave me a home where no one judges me for an illness I fight against daily, and for that I'm forever grateful.


“Whether you come back by page or by the big screen, Hogwarts will always be there to welcome you home.”
-J.K. Rowling

4 comments:

  1. I love this. I love that you spoke of each character as your very special friend. Wonderful job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, Saren. This is great. Thank you for your honesty and openness about all that you've gone through...I love that you found your strength through some of the strongest characters ever written. It seems like you discovered a lot about yourself through them. Congratulations

    ReplyDelete
  3. Harry Potter also has a special place in my heart. Thank you for sharing your thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a beautiful post. JK Rowling is phenomenal in so many ways and the popularity of her books causes many to criticize what is actually truly astounding. I know many people who think of Harry as their first true friend. His openness through adolescence and constant, innate desire to be good and the right thing is a courageous model for anyone who's felt different or alone. I certainly found a lot of strength and inspiration in the characters' relationships and integrity. You have a family of Potterfans! :)

    ReplyDelete