Friday, April 17, 2015

Digiliterate in Project Based Learning

My high school was completely based around the idea of Project Based Learning, which is essentially what we did here for this ebook project.  So, I have had a lot of experience with doing personal projects and team projects in lieu of a traditional curriculum.  Doing project based learning encourages students to be more involved in the learning process.  I also thing the tools that we used to create our ideas (Goodreads, Twitter, Blogging, etc.) were particularly helpful and they really kept me interested in the learning process.  I had a lot more fun learning and I know that I gained more long-term knowledge like this as opposed to learning through the lecture-then-test format.

I think that overall, our ebook project was successful.  I was concerned to begin with that our writing wouldn't have been professional enough, but I am very impressed with how things turned out.  I think we learned a lot about publishing and creating and how we can use free, digital tools to express our ideas.  I was impressed that we were all able to complete two chapters because our class was small.

I think the biggest issue with group project based learning is the division of time.  I feel really bad for the students who dedicated more time to their assigned job.  I don't think students did more work than others because some were lazy.  I just think that the assigned jobs were awkwardly divided and kind of a one-person-only job.  Maybe in the future students could work with an easier publishing tool.  I

I don't feel like the ebook project removed us from the core of literary study.  I believe that instead of consuming literary study, we created our own literary study, which is more awesome.  I know that I am certainly more confident in my writing abilities and by abilities to publish and analyze literature because my work is being published as an ebook.  However, I feel like the focus needs to be more on the literature analyzed instead of a digital medium such as Goodreads.  I feel like we focused too much on what Goodreads and other things were as opposed to incorporating traditional literary elements into our chapters.

I do think that PBL is worth it.  Like any new thing, there are a lot of kinks that need to be worked out.  Overall, I feel as if PBL contributes much more (in lengths and bounds) to a student's overall learning.  Instead of memorizing flash cards, PBL allows students to retain more long-term memory.  I really wish there were more classes that used the PBL approach.

No comments:

Post a Comment